Top 10 Tips for Moving Through Depression
The crushing blackness of depression can seem insurmountable when you’re in it. But there are things you can do to help lighten the darkness and even project a feeling of well-being and joy.
- Stay connected with others. Isolating yourself doesn’t protect loved ones nor help you. Just being around others in silence is better than hiding away.
- Set priorities and do what you can. Acknowledge (even celebrate) the completion of even little things.
- Do physical work. Chop wood or scrub the bathtub or prune trees. Physical effort helps to shift emotional blockages and numbness.
- Feed your senses. Look at beautiful artwork. Listen to your favorite music. Indulge yourself with fragrant oils. Surround yourself with vibrant color.
- Soak up the sun when you get the chance. Its warmth helps to penetrate even the bleakest of moods.
- Get your hands in the dirt. Gardening or working with the earth in some fashion can be energizing.
- Sing. Whether you hum a melancholy melody or belt out Broadway tunes, singing gives voice to hope.
- Look to your nutrition. Eat healthfully; consider a vitamin/mineral supplement. Don’t forget to drink lots of water.
- Take hot baths or cold showers. One or the other—or both¬—can help to lift you out of hopelessness.
- Connect with nature. Take a long, slow hike, or sit still, and notice nature at work. It can help you feel part of something larger than yourself, or just give your mind a rest from negative thoughts.
Colorado TMS Services
We use NeuroStar transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to target key areas of the brain. Because NeuroStar is a non-drug treatment, people don’t experience side effects. Side effects like those associated with antidepressant medications. Precisely targeted NeuroStar Advanced Therapy makes long-term remission possible—which is why it’s the #1 choice of doctors.
Author’s content used under license, © 2008 Claire Communications